1. We strive to handle personal data in a manner that is consistent with the local privacy laws that apply in the various international jurisdictions in which JNTO operates.
Collection of personal data
6. The types of personal data that we collect will depend on the nature of your dealings with us. We may collect your personal data directly or indirectly through various channels, such as when:
6.1. you access our websites (including http://www.japanbyjapan.com) and applications (mobile, web-based or otherwise) (collectively referred to as “Platform”);
6.2. you sign up as a member and/or register for an account through our Platform;
6.3. you subscribe to any of our publications or register to receive brochures;
6.4. you attend and/or apply to attend or exhibit at a JNTO event;
6.5. photographs and/or videos of you are taken when you attend events organized by us;
6.6. you participate in contests, competitions, promotions, events, activities, and marketing campaigns organized by us;
6.7. you communicate with us by letter, telephone, email, via our Platform or through other communication channels, for example, through social media platforms;
6.8. you have business dealings with us (whether as an employee of one of our external service providers, or if you work for any agencies or companies we deal with, or in the context of a transaction, or if you volunteer personal data to us);
6.9. we seek information about you and receive your personal data in connection with your relationship or business dealings with us;
6.10. when you submit an application for a position with us and/or when you provide documents or information including your resume/CVs in connection with such applications; and/or
6.11. you submit your personal data to us for any other reason.
7. We may also collect personal data from third party sources, for example:
7.1. from our business partners and third-party service providers which provide services to us (e.g. IT, advertising, marketing, and promotional services);
7.2. from any person who provides your personal data to us on your behalf; and/or
7.3. from public agencies or other public sources.
9. If you are using the Platform and are below 18 years of age, please obtain consent from your parent or guardian before you submit any personal data to us. If you are a parent or guardian of a minor and you have reason to believe your child or ward has provided us with his/her personal data without your prior consent, please contact us to request for the erasure of their personal data.
Purposes for which personal data is collected, used, and disclosed
10. We collect, use, disclose, and process your personal data for purposes connected or relevant to our business and to manage your relationship with us. Such purposes would include:
10.1. purposes that may be informed to you when your personal data is collected;
10.2. to facilitate your use of the Platform;
10.3. to evaluate and process your membership application and/or account opening;
10.4. to authenticate, operate, maintain and/or manage your user account;
10.5. to provide you with the publications and/or products or services that you have requested for;
10.6. to carry out your transaction with us and our business partners or taking steps as may be directed by you;
10.7. administration of contests, competitions, promotions, events, and activities you have registered for or participate in;
10.8. when engaging third-party service providers to perform a certain aspect of services provided by us;
10.9. administrative purposes, including finance, IT and HR purposes, quality assurance and staff training, and compliance with internal policies and procedures, including audit, accounting, risk management, and record keeping;
10.10. to carry out research and statistical analysis;
10.11. to respond to, handle, and process enquiries, requests, applications, complaints, and feedback from you;
10.12. to enforce legal obligations owed to us, or to respond to complaints, litigation, or investigations concerning us;
10.13. to comply with any applicable laws, governmental or regulatory requirements of any relevant jurisdiction (and any applicable rules, codes of practice or guidelines), including, without limitation, meeting the requirements to make disclosure under the requirements of any applicable law or assisting in law enforcement and investigations by relevant authorities;
10.14. security and safety purposes; and/or
10.15. any other reasonable purposes related to the aforesaid.
11. We may also collect, use, disclose, and process your personal data for other purposes, without your knowledge or consent, where this is required or permitted by law.
12. If you have provided us with your consent, we may use your personal data for the purposes of marketing our products and services and those of our partners and business associates (e.g. informing you of our latest activities, special offers, and promotions). In order for us to market products and services which are of special interest and relevance to you, we may analyze and rely on your overall interaction with us (such as but not limited to your participation in promotions or events and your interactions with us).
Disclosure or transfer of personal data
13. We may disclose or share your personal data with our related parties or business partners in connection with the above-stipulated purposes. We may also disclose or share your personal data:
13.1. where such disclosure is required for performing obligations in the course of or in connection with our provision of goods and/or services as may be requested or directed by you;
13.2. with third parties in order to provide such third parties’ products and/or services as may be requested or directed by you;
13.3. with third parties who provide services to us (such as our service providers providing services such as hosting and maintenance services, data analytics, messaging, marketing, and other professional services (including accountants, lawyers, and auditors); and
13.4. to any of the following in connection with the above-stipulated purposes and/or such other purpose as may be permitted under applicable laws:
(i) our related parties, and respective employees, agents, auditors, contractors, service providers, and professional advisers;
(ii) any liquidator, a provisional liquidator, an administrator, a receiver, and manager or judicial manager over us or any of our assets; and/or
(iii) any regulatory, supervisory, governmental or quasi-governmental or other authority, a court of law, tribunal or person, whether in Singapore or any other jurisdiction.
14. The third parties set out above may either be situated in your country or other countries. You fully understand and unambiguously consent that we may transfer your personal data to any location outside of Singapore for the purposes set out above. We are committed to safeguarding your personal data when it is transferred across jurisdictions. We will ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection regardless of the jurisdiction to which it is transferred.
Access to and correction of personal data
15. You are responsible for ensuring that all personal data that you provide to us is true, accurate, and complete.
16. You have the right to request access to your personal data held by JNTO. You also have the right to request the correction of your personal data which is inaccurate.
17. Any request for access or correction should be submitted to us in writing (see below for contact details). You may be required to submit certain forms or provide certain information for your request to be processed. Where permitted by law, we may charge you a fee to process your request.
Withdrawal of Consent
18. Your personal data is provided to us voluntarily. You may withdraw your consent by providing us with your written request for withdrawal at any time (see below for contact details). If you withdraw your consent to any or all use of your personal data or do not consent to the collection of your personal data by us, we may not be able to provide or continue providing you with the services which you have requested.
Online Privacy Issues
20. In general, you can visit our Platform without telling us who you are or revealing any personal data about yourself. However, there are times when we may need to collect personal data from you, for instance, if you register to receive our brochures, publications, attend an event, and/or participate in a competition.
21. In general, on our Platform, IP addresses are logged to track a user’s session while the user remains anonymous. We may analyze this data for certain trends and statistics, such as which parts of our site users are visiting and how long they spend there. When we receive information about your session or about you, we may also use it for research or to improve our site and the services we offer you.
22. Certain parts of our Platform use “cookies”, which are small files that may be placed on your hard disk for record-keeping purposes. A cookie helps us remember who you are. Cookies can make your subsequent visits to the web page simpler and faster. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. However, by not accepting cookies, some web pages may not display properly or you may not be permitted to access certain information. A server cannot find out a name or email address, or anything about a user’s computer, by using cookies.
23. We strive to ensure the security, integrity, and privacy of personal data submitted on the Platform. However, we do not guarantee that our Platform, systems, and applications are invulnerable to security breaches, nor do we make any warranty, guarantee, or representation that your use of our Platform, systems, or applications is safe and protected from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other vulnerabilities.
24. You need to be aware of inherent risks associated with the transmission of information via the Internet. We cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any personal data you submit to our Platform, and we cannot be held responsible for any unauthorized or unintended access that is beyond our control. Sending such personal data to us electronically is entirely at your own risk. If you have concerns in this regard, we have other ways of obtaining and providing information such as through normal mail, telephone, and fax facilities.
Retention of personal data
26. We keep your personal data only for so long as we need the personal data to fulfill the purposes we collected it for and to satisfy our business and/or legal purposes, including audit, accounting, or reporting requirements.
27. In some circumstances, we may anonymize your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we are entitled to retain and use such data without restriction.
・ By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org